IP Cameras have become a mainstay in a lot of homes and establishments. They are primarily used to do some surveillance in an area of interest.
Now, a lot of people want to get their hands on IP cameras but they usually buy one of those cheap IP cameras on the market.
Although that is your prerogative, there are some precautions when buying inexpensive IP cameras.
Today, I am going to talk about the 5 things you need to look out for when buying one of those cheap IP cameras in the market.
1. Resolution. One of the main benefits of getting an IP camera over a CCTV camera is that the IP cameras have a higher resolution. But, higher resolution on the spec sheet might not reflect real world performance. If you are going to buy a cheap IP camera, make sure that you get to see the product first and have a test run of the product as well. Even though it says something like “1080p resolution support”, it might not come out as true 1080p quality. It is best to be sure because if it isn’t up to par with your standards, then you’re just wasting your money.
2. Companion Software Should Be User-Friendly. Each and every IP camera comes with a companion app or software. Now, if you have the companion app or software, those two things must be user-friendly enough that even non-tech-savvy people can navigate through the options with ease but it also has to be robust as well; making sure that all of the important features are present. Some inexpensive IP camera software does not include important options like compression and setting the resolution. It is best to look at the software first before buying the product (by looking at product reviews or product images).
3. Motion Detection Should be Good. Another common feature of the IP camera is the motion detection feature. Once motion is detected within its area of scope, you will instantly be notified via text or email. Now, most inexpensive cameras do have this but sometimes, you get a long delay before getting the messages. In other words, some cheap IP cameras do not send you the message until after some lag time. Be sure to test out this feature first before buying one of those cheap IP cameras on the market.
4. Night Vision Should Be Good as Well. One of the main reasons why people get IP cameras is they want to grasp footage of their premises. Most of the time, when burglars or people with malicious intents attack your premises, it will almost be during nighttime because of a lower chance of visibility. Most IP cameras are equipped with IR LEDs that help it provide footage despite the low lighting conditions. Unfortunately, and this is mostly true for inexpensive IP cameras, their Night Vision isn’t that good. If you could test out this feature first before buying, it would be great. I highly encourage you to look at the camera’s Night vision first before purchasing.
5. Other Security Features. The last thing I want you to look out for when buying an IP camera is its included security features. Does the IP camera have an anti-tamper system? Does it have a very good alarm system? Does it have password protection? If some or all of these features are present, then it is a good IP camera and one worthy of your money.
I am not prohibiting people from buying inexpensive IP cameras but I am telling them to look out for these 5 things first before buying.